»

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Depotting Eyeshadow/Blushes Story

Hey guys! I'm so proud of myself for SUCCESSFULLY depotted most of my eyeshadow and blushes (around 50 all together) for THE FIRST TIME. The method I used to depot my e/s and blushes was the heating (using hair straightening iron) method. Well, I tried following Enkore's method of using 91% alcohol rather than heating but I failed. I guess it was because my wire cutter was being stubborn on me. I was also too scared to chip any of the powder while trying to open the black pan apart so the alcohol can flow in. I found that using the hair straightening heating method was much quicker and easier although fume was coming out of the wax paper. The fume wasn't that bad and it was bearable. It took me about two hours to depot all 50 e/s and blushes. The sad part was that I still chipped off some of the blush powders (Secret Blush, Dame, and Buff) while trying to remove the black pan out of the pot, anyway. I was so mad but I still managed to work so hard on these things.

I still have more e/s and blushes to depot; unfortunately, I am running out of palettes. I can't wait to take my emptied containers to do Back To Mac for the first time. I think I probably able to get over 10 e/s because I have more than 70 emptied "Back 2 MAC" containers. That means I have to drive an hour and a half to Sacramento because that's the nearest MAC store from where I live. It'll still worth the time because getting 10 e/s is like free MAC (not really in a way)! I have to go to Sacramento anyway because I'm taking my sister to find her prom dress.

I planned to depot my Milani's eyeshadow and the NYX trios shadows. What's the easier method for depotting Milani and NYX eyeshadow?

Anyhow, please share the method(s) ya'll used to depot your e/s and blushes. Thanks!

11 COMMENTS:

Unknown said...

hi,

i got the magnets at michaels. I know what you're talking about how bulky the ones you saw. I actually got an adhesive magnet sheet and bought a holepuncher (found in the scrapbook area) and holepunched that sucker out to get the magnetic rounds.

hth!


btw, you got a pretty good haul from camarillo and desert hills... aren't they in the opposite side??? that must have been a drive for ya'll!

mayaari said...

Milani pots are a little easier to depot - there's a hole under the label/sticker on the bottom, so you should be able to poke a pen/eyeglasses screwdriver through it to push the pan up. If you can't get it that way, using a flat iron to heat the bottom will loosen the glue.

Vanessa said...

Yup! I do Mayaari's method!

Anonymous said...

Milani are even easier if you after you tear the label off the back stick a little alcohol in the hole and it will loosen up the glue.

MsLanie said...

Hey Anne: After I read your comment I went ahead and bought the magnet sheet and the 5/8' holepuncher. I couldn't wait for the 40% sales on Saturday. LOl! Thanks!

Mayaari and Vanessa: Thanks for the Milani e/s depotting tips. I'll to do you guys' way.

Anonymous: Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I haven't depotted any of my blush or e/s yet. For some weird reason, I kinda like having the e/s and blush in their own container. I think I'm scared that if I drop my palette, I'll end up breaking the whoooooooole collection I've depotted! I just read your entry about the fake MAC products. I'm glad I read that, cause I was on ebay yesterday and saw A LOT of ppl advertising e/s. When I clicked on their link to see what colors they had, I noticed they didn't have the names of the e/s, they only had numbers on the bottom. I thought that was really odd and put two and two together and figured it was fake! People these days!

MsLanie said...

spankedelic: I'm glad you're doing your research before bidding on ebay. I learned my lesson but there are still some good sellers. Anyway, I like to travel so having my e/s and blushes un-depotted it was always on my way or I take too long just to look for one particular shadow. Thanks for reading my blog. Stop by anytime!

Anonymous said...

i think i'm gonna become a mac pro member since i have my hair/facial/nail license! that way i won't have to depot all this stuff. lol. and i think it'd be cheaper buying it already depotted! oh, it's okay about the name thing. hehe. my name is trinh.

Anonymous said...

I know this is probably a dumb question but what the heck is depotting?

MsLanie said...

Depotting is a process for taking out eye shadows or blushes of their original pans so s to keep them all in one palette. For example, you may want to take out all your eye shadows (with the tin pan) out of the plastic pot and organize them in a palette for easy traveling. BTW, if you look it up in the dictionary there is no meaning or such word "depotting" existed. I hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

 

Chatterbox

I thought having a chatterbox here would be more accessible to leave comments/suggestions and for my replies. Or if you like you can always leave comments on an entry you find interesting. Thanks!